Originally known as Kinaird it was under the lordship of a branch of the powerful O’Neills of Tyrone, who are recorded as having a castle here in the late 1400s. Kinard (or Kinaird) means ‘high head’ or ‘top of the hill’. It remained under the control of the O’Neills until the death of Phelim O’Neill in 1683.
In the 1820s Caledon village was transformed under the instruction of Du Pre Alexander, 2nd Earl of Caledon KP MP. Several fine terraces, an impressive Courthouse and Market House buildings were built to characterise the distinctive Georgian streetscape which remains much the same today. The greater part of the village is now a designated conservation area. Within 2 decades, the 2nd Earl had effectively transformed Caledon from a muddle of tumble down thatched houses to one of the best built towns in NI with 226 houses, most of which were constructed of stone.
In the late 1990s, Caledon Regeneration Partnership focused on the built and natural environment and the strengthening of cross-border relations between Caledon and neighbouring villages.
In 1997, the Caledon Comprehensive Development Plan, supported by Peace 1, was launched and was the catalyst for a major restoration initiative. The Heritage Lottery Fund, the International Fund for Ireland, the Department of Social Development, Dungannon and South Tyrone Borough Council, the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) and a number of other government agencies, financially supported the restoration of 28 historic properties. The funding also supported the provision of a riverside walk.
Works are just commencing on the old Woolstore Building to restore this fine 3-storey property to its former glory.
We continue to focus on the natural and built heritage but our work also extends to enhancing the well being of our growing community through community events and facilities.